As of February 28, Office 2013 for Office 365 will no longer be available for downloaded from the Office 365 portal. In addition to the software not being able to be downloaded, support will end for the 2013 version. If any of the following versions are installed, they will need to be upgraded to the 2016 version of Office continue to receive technical support from Microsoft.
- Office 365 ProPlus version 2013
- Office 365 Small Business Premium version 2013
- Project Pro for Office 365 version 2013
- Visio Pro for Office 365 version 2013
After February 28, Microsoft will update the Office Deployment Tool will be updated and released to remove support for 2013 versions of Office 2013 applications. There will be no more feature releases for the 2013 versions of Office applications. However, Microsoft will continue to release and critical security updates for the 2013 Office applications. Support through Premier support will be removed as well.
There are several ways to update existing Office 365 2013 client applications. PCM can provide Office deployment services and help with scripting out an install plan utilizing the Office Deployment Tool, or downloaded and utilized by IT staff to coordinate push out of the latest version ( http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117 ). Office ProPlus 2016 can be deployed by utilizing System Center. Users can download the latest version from the home screen of the Office Portal. The steps are below:
- Open http://portal.office.com
- Login with credentials given by company (usually user account and password)
- Click Install Office 2016 or Other Installs (Located in the upper right corner)
- Install Office 2016 will install the 32-bit version
- Other installs give the option to install the 64-bit version of Office 2016 as well as other software like Skype for Business client, Visio and Project (if products are licensed)
- In other installs advanced gives the 64-bit version option
- Once install is finished then the 2016 version will be installed and the 2013 version can be removed.
Lastly, this does not apply to volume license copies of Office 2013 (i.e. Office 2013 Professional Plus, Professional, or Standard).
For any questions please contact you PCM Account Executive.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Share your thoughts and questions in the comment section below. To get the latest news from PCM, follow @PCM on Twitter, join us on Facebook, or connect with us on LinkedIn. To get the latest news sent straight to your inbox, join our newsletter.